CHIBA, Japan - The death toll from the torrential rain that struck Chiba Prefecture last week has risen to 13 from 11, the prefectural government said Tuesday.

Efforts continued in the prefecture to determine the extent of flood damage, with some 300 additional inundated homes confirmed since Monday afternoon, bringing the total to about 2,300, it said.

The central government held its first ministerial meeting on the rain disaster Tuesday, with Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi calling for enhanced measures to mitigate flooding when heavy rainfall overwhelms urban drainage capacity.

Related coverage: